Thursday, 5/1/08, 8:03 am
7 pounds even, 21 inches long
born by C-Section at 40 weeks
My birth story isn't that exciting b/c of the scheduled c-section, the worst part was the catheter insertion b/c this hospital does it BEFORE you go to the OR and get your spinal. But not the worst thing that's ever happened to me.
After I got semi-prepped I walked down to the l&D OR and hopped up on the operating table, the anesthesiologist come in and gave me the spinal while my nurse Michelle hugged me then i got to lay down. My arms got strapped down, they put the sheet up, cleaned my belly and then Jim came in to sit by my head.
The doctors said "you ready? let's go" and started the c/s. I felt some tugging but it was painless and pretty darn cool. Colin was engaged and I apparently was ready to go into labor on my own so there was some pulling to get him out and the 2 docs were joking with me that he was stuck and to just hold on, lol. Then they dis-engaged him and he came out yelling! Dr., Burk started to sing "baby face" to him while the nurse wrapped him up and brought him to our side of the sheet so we could see him. HE was so gorgeous even covered in all kinds of yuck and my heart just stopped with the overwhelming love that filled it for both Colin and Jim.
While they were putting me back together Jim went to the "other side" to watch them measure, weigh and clean Colin up. He was allowed to take pictures at that point which I'm really thrilled about b/c we got him being weighed and such. They gave Jim the tape measure and then he made the mistake of turning around....let's just say there was alot more of me showing then he (or anyone other than a surgeon) should ever see, lol. They brought our still screaming little man back over so I could see him all clean and let me give him a kiss then asked if it was ok to take him to the nursery.

So off Jim and Colin went to the nursery for al the things they do there. I was taken out of the OR about 25 feet to recovery where my nurse Michelle took care of me until Jim came back. Once i was in there for about an hour they brought Colin in along with my mom, dad and sister so I could really meet him. I (other than the professionals) got to be the first one to hold him - they wouldn't let Jim even before I could. Everyone but Jim left and the nursery nurse came in to help me feed him for the first time. He latched on pretty good but I apparently have flat nips so it's a battle we're still fighting.
After another hour or so I could move my legs and toes so I was taken to my real room to settle in for the duration of my stay. They brought me "lunch" of all clears but it was jello and water ice which I promptly threw up. I have reflux (which I've mentioned to death) and I needed bread or something NOT sugary but it would be Friday mornign before the hospital ok'd that. Jim went out and got me a cinnamon bun from Wawa around 8 that night which I scarfed and kept down so they gave in the next morning on the food thing. I spent the day amazed at this little boy we made together and trying to bf then everyone came back later to visit after Colin and I had a chance to rest after our big morning.
Friday at 6 they took the cath out and I started walking around no problem (kinda shocked the nurses) the LC came in a bit later and that's when we found out his left latch was not good and that's why I was hurting. By Saturday morning I was pacing the halls and begging for the doc to come in for rounds so I could go home. :) Around 3 she finally showed and said there was no reason for me or Colin to stay so we could go as soon as the discharge instruction for me and him were given. We got home about 5pm and went right to the couch to great Finnegan and Pooka - who wanted NOTHING to do with the "creature that makes noise".
I had an easy delivery b/c of the section and I'm getting around no problem, get tired but it's to be expected, and I have to say a c-section is WAY easier than knee surgery. I'm almost completely off the pain meds - the only time I take one is if my hip of knee acts up.
So today is his 14th day on earth and he'll be 2 weeks old tomorrow! I know I'm not going to want to go back to work on July 28th but I think I just found a great in home daycare that we may actually be able to afford. It's close enough to work 8-10 minutes that I can go over at my lunch to feed him and hang out with him for a little during the day.
We're pretty much a breastmilk only baby, Colin has had formula a few times b/c I just didn't have enough to fill him (at least we didn't think so) and I'm pumping mainly b/c he had a crappy latch that wasn't corrected before the left balloon got a bit tramutized. He still eats great on the right so I don't think he'll have any confusion once I heal enough to handle the "pain". As long as he's getting it some way I'm happy and we'll keep working until we get it right.
Colin sleeps about 5 hours at night and is a pretty content little guy. He loves to be held (who doesn't?) and really likes his bouncy and a toy giraffe daddy bought him. Mom's here until this Sunday and then I'll be on my own but I think I can handle it. We've been aout a few times now and he's an angel - I really couldn't have prayed for a better behaved baby!
We went and had Sears pictures done on Sunday so here's a few of them!
This is the one I used for his birth announcement

Mommy, Daddy & Colin

Colin and his giraffe, Geffrey

I'm ready for this whole picture thing to be over
No comments:
Post a Comment