Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Tomorrow we become parents!

So with the impending birth of our son, I figured I should put on record how Jim and I came to be. It's a little long and kinda sappy - but it's one hell of a story if I do say so myself. ;)

Over 2 years ago this guy started in one of our parts departments and we became really good friends, he kept asking why I dated such losers, I asked him why he stayed in his relationship with someone 17 years senior when he didn't seem all that happy. We would discuss everything under the sun and became really close but nothing was going on. He started talking about leaving his "safety" and had gotten preapproved for a mortgage and was looking at houses. They had talked about it and were trying to make things work but it wasn't going well.

When I bought this house in Oct. '06 he helped me move along with everyone else and actually stuck around for when we had fun afterwards. My mom kept saying "why can't you date someone like him" over and over and over. I kept saying "because he's taken".

A few months later I had the big knee surgery and was home for 3 months. We emailed back and forth and I realized how much I missed seeing him everyday but never said anything. I went back to work in the middle of May and I kept asking him to go to happy hour and he kept asking me to go fishing down the beach. (jim is a HUGE fisherman - makes his own rods and lures and there's a demand for them) btw - I dont' fish.

Well a few weeks later when he asked me to go down the beach with him I went very spur of the moment (not like me at all). I still wasn't walking too good but figured it was now or never. Things had gotten worse at home and he was looking at houses again.

That was Thursday, June 7th.

I sat on the jetty while he fished, watched the sun set, then he decided we should grab dinner at this bar there. So we packed everything up got back in the truck to drive off the beach and while sitting in the truck he told me how much he had missed me while we I was on leave and he didn't want to have to miss me anymore. I didn't get it. So he said - I think I've fallen for you and that you feel the same way and that he was leaving T. And that he really wanted to kiss me.

I wouldn't let him.

So we went to eat while I processed it. When we got back to my truck an hour away I finally did kiss him and knew that I was done. We decided over the next week that we really had fallen in love with each other without even trying.

My parents were coming in for a week for a wedding and my Godson's Christening so we said we'd wait and he'd move in when they left. I had a big BBQ on the 23rd for my sister's birthday and he came and never went home. My folks were in my room, I was in the guest room and he slept on the couch.

On the 24th the family was all going on a bus trip to the track so I wasn't going to see him that day. He came up in the morning around 7am, said he was going back and if I didn't mind he couldn't do this to him, T and me anymore. I was not awake and started crying. Jimmy realized I once again I didn't get it. He said i'm going home to end things for good and if you dont' mind when you all get back I'll be here for good. (my cousin was living here at the time so he helped him move in while we were gone) I was petrified to tell my dad so I didn't - they were staying at my sisters' that night & leaving in the morning so I didn't have to. But I told mom and she was thrilled.

It wasn't the thing movies are made of but somehow after all this time I had finally met my match and we were going to make it work.

T forgave him and knew it was coming whether I was in the picture or not. Because of their age difference she said she knew it was going to happen eventually and had prepared for it. And wished us both happiness. Now almost a year later she's happy for Jim that he's going to be a dad and can't wait to meet the baby. She thinks what we have is what he'd been looking for all these years and even though the situation kinda sucked for her she is happy for us. I dont' know if I could be a kind as she has been and I'm grateful that there's no annimosity.

We haven't gotten married yet - maybe one day we will. Maybe we won't. I NEVER thought I'd be ok with that (really Catholic) but after the first marriage of horror and the life of love and kindness I have now I wouldn't want things to have gone any differently.

Tomorrow morning we complete the circle we started almost a year ago. I've never been this happy in my whole life and every day is better than the day before. I never thought I'd get this life, no matter how much i wanted it. I am grateful everyday that I took a chance last June and went fishing and can't wait to see what the next 40 or 50 years brings.

1 comment:

boneramafreak said...

awww that is sweet, even if I did know most of it. I wish I could be as lucky and one day I will be. :) good luck tomorrow!