Tuesday, October 28, 2008

the welfare "myth"

I needed a pepper for dinner yeaterday so i went up to the store to get one. I needed one freaking pepper but in every line there's 5-7 people with huge orders. At the very end there were only 2 people in line so I obviously went there. It was a lady with a HUGE order - an old man in his Phillies gear with like 4 things - and me with my pepper. The lady huffed and puffed the whole time (our cashier wasn't the fastest and appeared a bit disabled), then was annoyed to bag her own stuff, so when she went to pay she grabs her wallet out of her purse and in my head I said "oh pretty" and she paid with her ACCESS card. I then (b/c I'm judgemental) checked out the purse. It was plain beige leather with the COACH stuff embossed on it. After she paid she says - "oh this is wrong (like 5 things) I have to exchange it for the other kind."

My vent. you are carrying a $300 purse.
  • Pay for your own &^%$&^ groceries. I don't want to hear the "it was a gift" b/c if in my budgeted situation someone said here's a coach purse I'd say to myself "must return" for 30 useful things.
  • I'm pretty sure she used her card for the item that's covered and then went and got things that were similar but not covered. Is that possible? I don't get assistance so I have no clue how it works.

This happens to us every time we go to the store. Our neighborhood is mixed of working blue collar and scum. (yes I know for a fact they are scum - if you'd like "proof" come visit)

To defend my rant:

  1. I'm not perpetuating the "welfare" myth - i witness this, as do my other working neighbors, and it's true.
  2. Feel free to come live next door to the drug dealer on SOCIAL SECURITY at 26

Then judge me for being angry I pay 4.3% city wage tax to fund Philadelphia's "programs" while I witness them being taken advantage of. It pisses me off that there are people I know who are on waiting lists for some of the aforementioned programs b/c there isn't enough space yet they need the help. Or the elderly who worked for 50 years but just can't keep up with the rising gas costs to heat their homes can not get help b/c "the liars" get what they do not deserve.

End rant. I feel much better now.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Oh hey, I don't think I knew you had this blog. Now we can be bloggy friends.
I have the same issue- Kenny's students won't do their homework because they don't think they could ever afford college, yet almost every one of them has a 400 purse, a 300 dollar pair of Nikes, or gold-and-diamond-encrusted Looney Toons merchandise. Oy.